Recommendation

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

This is the golden fabric in which the shadow of God lives



Carl Jung's Red Book Illustration 115 with a Caption that says: "This is the golden fabric in which the shadow of God lives."

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." Here, the encounter with the shadow within psychic processes - a drawing from the "Red Book." ~Carl Jung; (Wehr, 1989: 55).

I hear the roaring of the morning wind, which comes over the mountains. The night is overcome, when all my life was subject to eternal confusion and stretched out between the poles of fire.

My soul speaks to me in a bright voice: "The door should be lifted off its hinges to provide a free passage between here and there, between yes and no, between above and below, between left and right. Airy passages should be built between all opposed
things, light smooth streets should lead from one pole to the other. Scales should be set up, whose pointer sways gently A flame should burn that cannot be blown out by the wind. A stream should flow to its deepest goal. The herds of wild animals should move to their feeding grounds along their old game paths. Life should proceed, from birth to death, from death to birth, unbroken like the path of the sun. Everything should proceed on this path."

Thus speaks my soul. But I toy casually and terribly with myself Is it day or night? Am I asleep or awake? Am I alive or have I already died?

Blind darkness besieges me-a great wall-a gray worm of twilight crawls along it. It has a round face and laughs. The laughter is convulsive and actually relieving. I open my eyes: the fat cook is standing before me: "You're a sound sleeper, I must
say. You've slept for more than an hour."

I: "Really? Have I slept? I .. must have dreamed, what a dreadful play! Did I fall asleep in this kitchen? Is this really the realm of mothers?"

"Have a glass of water, you're still thoroughly drowsy"

I: 'Yes, this sleep can make one drunk Where is my Thomas? There it lies, open at the twenty-first chapter: "My soul, in everything and yet beyond everything, you must find your rest in the Lord, for he is the eternal rest of the saints."

I read this sentence aloud. Is not every word followed by a question mark?

"If you fell asleep with this sentence, you must really have had a beautiful dream."

I: "I certainly dreamed, and I will think about the dream. Incidentally; can you tell me whose cook you are?"

"The librarian's. He loves good cooking and I have been with him for many years."

I: "Oh, I had no idea that the librarian had such a cook"

"Yes, you must know that he's a gourmet."

I: "Farewell, madam cook, and thank you for the accommodation."

"You are most welcome and the pleasure was entirely mine."

Now I am outside. So that was the librarian's cook Does he really know what food is prepared inside? He has certainly never gone in there for a temple sleep. I think that I'll return the Thomas a Kempis to him. I enter the library. ~Carl Jung; Red Book.

Note: When Dr. Jung refers to a "Temple Sleep" Dr. Jung is referring to the Greek practices of dream incubation. See C. A. Meier, Healing Dream and Ritual: Ancient Incubation and Modem psychotherapy.