Recommendation

Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Last Supper in The Red Book



[For many Christians this is Holy Week which will culminate in Easter Sunday. Today is Holy Thursday which commemorates “The Last Supper.” In Dr. Jung’s “The Red Book” many of the psychological realities of Holy Week, including The Last Supper are experienced.]

He who goes to himself climbs down.

Pathetic and ridiculous forms appeared to the greatest prophet who came before this time, and these were the forms of his own essence.

He did not accept them, but exorcised them before others.

Ultimately; however, he was forced to celebrate a Last Supper with his own poverty and to accept these forms of his own essence out of compassion, which is precisely that acceptance of the lowest in us.

But this enraged the mighty lion, who chased down the lost and restored it to the darkness of the depths.

And like all those with power, the one with the great name wanted to erupt from the womb of the mountain like the sun.

But what happened to him?

His way led him before the crucified and he began to rage.

He raged against the man of mockery and pain because the power of his own essence forced him to follow precisely this way as Christ had done before us.

Yet he loudly proclaimed his power and greatness.

No one speaks louder of his power and greatness than he from whom the earth disappears under his feet.

Ultimately the lowest in him got to him, his incapacity; and this crucified his spirit, so that, as he himself had predicted, his soul died before his body. ~Carl Jung; The Red Book.


But the serpent crept up to me quietly and wound herself smoothly around my feet.

Evening fell and night came. I spoke to the serpent and said: "I don't know what to say: All pots are on the boil."

Serpent: ''A meal is being prepared."
I: ''A Last Supper, I suppose?"
Serpent: ''A union with all humanity:"
I: ''A horrifying, sweet thought: to be both guest and dish at this meal."
S: "That was also Christ's highest pleasure."
I: "How holy; how sinful, how everything hot and cold flows into one another! Madness and reason want to be married, the lamb and the wolf graze peacefully side by side.It is all yes and no. The opposites embrace each other, see eye to eye, and intermingle. They recognize their oneness in agonizing pleasure. My heart is filled with wild battle. The waves of dark and bright rivers rush together, one crashing over the other. I have never experienced this before." ~Carl Jung, The Red Book.

In Mysterium Coniunctionis (1955/56), Jung noted: "If the projected conflict is to be healed, it must return into the soul of the individual, where it had its beginnings in an unconscious manner. He who wants to be the master of this descent must celebrate a Last Supper with himself, and eat his own flesh and drink his own blood;
which means that he must recognize and accept the other in himself" (CW 14, §5I2). ~Footnote 288; The Red Book.

"Our desire pulls us to the living world and we are lost in our desire.

"Come drink the living blood, drink your fill so that we will be saved from the inextinguishable and unrelenting power of vivid longing for visible, graspable, and present being.

"Drink from our blood the desire that begets evil, as quarrel, discord, ugliness, violent deed, and famishment.

"Take, eat, this is my body, that lives for you. Take, eat, drink, this is my blood, whose desire flows for you.

"Come, celebrate a Last Supper with me for your redemption and mine.

"I need community with you so that I fall prey neither to the community of the living nor to my desire and yours, whose envy is insatiable and therefore begets evil.

"Help me, so that I do not forget that my desire is a sacrificial fire for you.

"You are my community. I live what I can live for the living. But the excess of my longing belongs to you, you shades. We need to live with you.

"Be auspicious to us and open our closed spirit so that we become blessed with the redeeming light. May it happen thus!" ~Carl Jung; The Red Book



''Alas, is there nowhere a salutary deception to protect me from having the Last Supper with my carcass? The dead want to live from me. ~Carl Jung; The Red Book.


But as I spoke, the old man turned into Diahmon and I saw that he was the magician who was tempting me. But Diahmon continued:

"You have not yet experienced the dismembering. You should be blown apart and shredded and scattered to the winds. Men are preparing for the Last Supper with you."

"What then will remain of me?" I cried.

"Nothing but your shadow. You will be a river that pours forth over the lands. It seeks every valley and streams toward the depths."

I asked, full of grief "But where will my uniqueness remain?"

"You will steal it from yourself" Diahmon replied: "You will hold the invisible realm in trembling hands; it lowers its roots into the gray darknesses and mysteries of the earth And sends up branches covered in leaves into the golden air. ~Carl Jung; The Red Book.