Page Level Ad

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Carl Jung: It doesn't pay not to see the dark side.





To Hans Schar

Dear Dr. Schar, 15 August 1952

Hearty thanks for kindly sending me your review of Job.

I didn't envy you this difficult task.

But you have done it in a very objective way and have also succeeded in introducing one or two things for the fine-eared.

Your idea of my spiritual affinity or at least sympathy with Jakob Burckhardt is amazingly true.

Burckhardt's pessimistic forebodings were undoubtedly right.

It doesn't pay not to see the dark side.

I am glad that such a carefully balanced review got into a theological journal.

It may well be the first to have found its way there.

I hear you are coming to visit me sometime in September.

All that month I shall be in Bollingen, where I can receive you at any time if you let me know a few days beforehand.

Meanwhile with kind regards,

Yours sincerely,

C.G. Jung ~Carl Jung, Letters Vol. II, Pages 80-81.