Page Level Ad

Monday, October 5, 2015

Carl Jung: In the turmoil of Kusnacht I can seldom or never turn my thoughts upon myself,




To Walther and Marianne Niehus-Jung

Dear Walther, dear Marianne, [Bollingen] 3 January 1960

On the occasion of the New Year and at the beginning of a new decade I can collect my thoughts together in the peace of Bollingen and bring to mind all the things you have done for me in the past year.

I would therefore not like to miss this opportunity of expressing my heartiest thanks and letting you both know what a deep impression your helpful attitude has left behind.

In the turmoil of Kusnacht I can seldom or never turn my thoughts upon myself, much less express them in writing.

Scarcely is one thing finished than another has already taken its place.

But here it is as it was in the years of my youth, when time was still so long that one could ask oneself, What can I do now?

Now there is so much leisure that I can remember myself and let the past unroll before my eyes.

Besides the heavy burdens which the dark twists of fate have destined for us, friendly and joyful images emerge which instill into me a warm feeling of gratitude towards you.

This is what I wanted you to know.

With best wishes for the New Year,

Your Father ~Carl Jung, Letters Vol. II, Page 530