Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Carl Jung: I have fallen foul of contemporary history.




To E. Beit von Speyer

Dear Frau von Speyer, 13 April 1934

As you have probably noticed, your letter has not been answered.

The reason is that I was away from home and found it only on my return.

I am very sorry this has happened, but it was holiday time.

Thank you very much for your interesting picture.

It is a correct representation of your basic psychic attitude.

It is characteristic that the four functions are represented by four animals.

This means that the principles of these functions still have an instinctive form.

There are possibilities of further development.

I have fallen foul of contemporary history.

From abroad one can hardly have anything to do with Germany without becoming politically suspect on one side or the other.

People now think I am a blood-boltered anti-Semite because I have helped the German doctors to consolidate their Psychotherapeutic Society and because I have said there are certain differences between Jewish and so-called Aryan psychology which are mainly due to the fact that the Jews have a cultural history that is 2,000 years older than the so-called Aryan.

There has been a terrific shindy over this.

It is no pleasure to be well known.

You are then like a city on a mountain and cannot remain hidden.

With cordial greetings,

Yours sincerely,

C.G. Jung ~Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Page 157

No comments:

Post a Comment