Friday, March 10, 2017

Carl Jung: I quite agree with you: without relatedness individuation is hardly possible.





To Robert M. Rock

Dear Sir, 11 November 1960

I quite agree with you: without relatedness individuation is hardly possible. Relatedness begins with conversation mostly.

Therefore communication is indubitably important. For 60 years I have practiced this simple truth.

I also agree with you that a religious experience depends upon human relatedness to a certain extent.

I don’t know to what extent. There is f.i. the apocryphal logion: "When there are two together, they are not without God, and when there is one alone, I am with him."

And what about the hermits?

If you seek, I feel sure that you will find a suitable interlocutor.

It is always important to have something to bring into a relationship, and solitude is often the means by which you acquire it.

Sincerely yours,

C.G. Jung Carl Jung, Letters Vol. II, Pages 609-610

No comments:

Post a Comment