Friday, March 17, 2017

Carl Jung: The Jahrbuch affair is a private matter to be settled between myself and Freud.




To Alphonse Maeder

Dear Colleague, 29 October 1913

The Jahrbuch affair is a private matter to be settled between myself and Freud.

If the Zurich people are also affected by it, then it is very painful for me.

As you can well imagine, I am not giving up the Jahrbuch for fun but because it is impossible to collaborate with Freud's attitude.

I still have no news from Vienna.

But I shall take care to create for the Zurich people a new organ in the style of the Jahrbuch, perhaps called "Psychologische Untersuchungen. Works of the Zurich School of Psychoanalysis."

In the event, Deuticke is ready to accept it.

If our Works are dropped from the Jahrbuch, maybe the Jahrbuch will pack up too.

I have by no means walked into Freud's trap, for I consider it of no advantage to Freud to have sickened me off. ·

A committee of inquiry is out of the question, because the Jahrbuch is not after all run by a club and I won't collaborate with Freud any longer.

It will make a very bad impression all round.

But inner successes count more with me than the howling of the mob.

I shall soon be able to give you news of Deuticke and Freud, if the latter does not deem it beneath his papal dignity to answer me.

Yours sincerely,

JUNG ~Carl Jung, Letters Vol. 1, Page 28

No comments:

Post a Comment