Friday, March 17, 2017

Carl Jung on “Jews” “Anti-Semitism”




I am no anti-Semite. From all this I gained neither honours nor money, but I am glad that I could be of service to those in need. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Page 219

The mere fact that I speak of a difference between Jewish and Christian psychology suffices to allow anyone to voice the prejudice that I am an anti-Semite. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Pages 160-163

I have included in it an essay by a Jewish author on the psychology of the Old Testament, just to annoy the Nazis and all those who have decried me as an anti-Semite. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Pages 160-163

One risks being labelled as anti-Semite or pro-Semite without being heard at all. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Pages 223-224

It is a downright lie to quote me as saying that Jews are dishonest in analysis. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Pages 160-163

The mere fact that I speak of a difference between Jewish and Christian psychology suffices to allow anyone to voice the prejudice that I am an anti-Semite. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Pages 160-163

There is a number of Jewish doctors who have studied with me, but the reason why you haven’t discovered them is that they are undiscoverable on account of their fear of being recognized as Jungians. Carl Jung, Letters Vol.

I, Pages 223-224

As a matter of fact my first and most gifted pupils were Jews. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Pages 223-224

Certainly the Jews have lived much longer in other countries but without the contact to the soil that was not accessible to them due to their being rooted in the Torah. Erich Neumann, Jung Correspondence 30 Jan 1936

I myself have personally treated very many Jews and know their psychology in its deepest recesses, so I can recognize the relation of their racial psychology to their religion, but it would be quite beyond me to relate Islam or the ancient Egyptian religion to its devotees as I lack any intimate knowledge of Arab
and Egyptian psychology. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Page 233

On account of my critical utterances I was "marked down" by the Gestapo, my books were banned in Ger- many, and in France they were for the most part destroyed. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. 1, Pages 404-406

We naturally hope not to be implicated in the war, but there is only one conviction in Switzerland, that if it has to be, it will be on the side of the Allies. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Page 276

He [Jung] listened daily to the B.B.C. and knew that England was the only hope, and that they would never give in. E.A. Bennet, Meetings with Jung, Page 24.

We are all terribly sorry for England and France. If they should lose the war, we also shall not escape the reign of the Antichrist. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Page 282

Referring to the rumours of his so-called Nazi sympathies, C.G. told me that his name was on the black List in Germany because of his views, and that he would certainly have been shot at once had he fallen into Nazi hands.
E.A. Bennet, Meetings with Jung, Page 26

Incidentally, if I were a Jew-eater I would hardly bring out books together with Jews as i have just done, or in- troduce books by Jewish authors. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Page 167

No one is more deeply convinced than I that the Jews are a people with a culture. Between culture and cul- tural form there is, as we know, an essential difference. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Page 167

If the Nazis had invaded Switzerland during the Second World War, I would have become a Catholic out of protest because the Catholic Church would then have represented the only spiritual power. That is, of course, if I had not been shot first. Carl Jung, Conversations with C.G. Jung, Page 45.

Here in Switzerland we are still rationed, but can’t complain about anything since we were miraculously spared the Nazi madness. Carl Jung, Letters Vol. 1, Pages 401.

If somebody is clever enough to see what is going on in people’s minds, in their unconscious minds, he will be able to predict. For instance, I could have predicted the Nazi rising in Germany through the observation of my German patients. Carl Jung, Evans Conversations, Page 20.

It led to Jung, on his return, asking Swiss high schoolers to come to Kusnacht to observe them and compare them to the manic Germans.

One was the 18 year old Marie Louise Von Franz : "One morning—it was about the middle of the week—Jung stopped me on the stairs and said: “Take care, you are getting dangerously out of yourself.”

I knew he was right but had no idea why, until he added: “These people are all in a panic, they are scared stiff and have no idea where all this is leading.

I am afraid nothing can save them and that they are heading for inevitable disaster, but at least we will earn the merit of trying to help them as long as we can.”

That was enough to save my situation, for I realized at once that, since I had not seen their panic, I had be- come infected, via the unconscious.

The next day, seeing that I was once more in myself, Jung had a long talk about the whole thing with an En- glish friend and me.

To anyone who, like myself, was with Jung in Berlin in July, 1933, and who saw and heard him frequently dur- ing the next twenty-eight years, the libel that Jung was a Nazi is so absurd and so entirely without foundation that it goes against the grain to take it seriously enough to contradict it.

Moreover, for the most part it is believed only by the people who want to believe it, and it is always useless to waste energy on them.

I learned this in 1914 and I have never forgotten the lesson." Barbara Hannah, 1933 conference in Berlin at- tended by Jung, Emma, Toni, Heinrich Zimmer and Barbara Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment