Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Carl Jung: Synchronicity is indeed a difficult and involved problem.





Prof. J. B. Rhine July 26, 1954
Parapsychological Laboratory
College Station
Durham, N. C.

Dear Professor Rhine,

Thank you for your kind letter!

Synchronicity is indeed a difficult and involved problem.

The translation of my book into English is finished and the printing must be on the way, so that you will have a chance to read it rather soon.

I must warn you though that in spite of all sorts of alterations I have made, it is still a difficult book that appeals chiefly to the thinking function as it consists in its main substance of the description of a point of view rather unfamiliar to our epoch.

Certain main points of my book have not been understood at all, but that is what I have always seen with my books: I just have to wait for about 10 or 20 years until certain readers appear understanding what my thought is.

That sounds most arrogant, and everybody is free to think that I am writing a particularly unclear and obscure style.

The writer himself has to suspend his own judgment.

As far as I can see, my book has not had any noticeable effect yet, with the exception of Prof. Bender's experiments.

I have seen him recently, and he told me that he pursues his experiments with success.

My best wishes to you; I always remember our rather noisy lunch at the Ambassador's.

We must give up at the outset all explanations in terms of energy, which amounts to saying that events of this kind cannot be considered from the point of view of causality, for causality presupposes the existence of space and time in so far as all observations are ultimately based upon bodies in motion. (Jung, CW 9, para. 836) ~Carl Jung, Rhine-Jung Letters, Page 5

No comments:

Post a Comment