Sunday, January 14, 2018

Carl Jung: I was on the way to discovering my own myth




I was on the way to discovering my own myth.

For the building game was only a beginning.

It released a stream of fantasies which I later carefully wrote down.

I went on with my building game after the noon meal every day, whenever the weather permitted.

As soon as I was through eating, I began playing, and continued to do so until the patients arrived; and if I was finished with my work early enough in the evening, I went back to building. In the course of this activity my thoughts clarified, and I was able to grasp the fantasies whose presence in myself I dimly felt.

Naturally, I thought about the significance of what I was doing, and asked myself, "Now, really, what are you about?

You are building a small town, and doing it as if it were a rite!"

I had no answer to my question, only the inner certainty that I

This sort of thing has been consistent with me, and at any time in my later life when I came up against a blank wall, I painted a picture or hewed stone.

Each such experience proved to be a rite d'entree for the ideas and works that followed hard upon it.

Everything that I have written this year and last year, "The Undiscovered Self," "Flying Saucers: A Modern Myth," "A Psychological View of Conscience," has grown out of the
stone sculptures I did after my wife's death.

The close of her life, the end, and what it made me realize, wrenched me violently out of myself.

It cost me a great deal to regain my footing, and contact with stone helped me. ~Carl Jung, MDR, Pages 174-175

No comments:

Post a Comment