Friday, May 12, 2017

Carl Jung: Together with my wife I have tried to unriddle your words,...




Dear Professor Freud, 29 August 1911

I was overjoyed by your letter, being, as you know, very receptive to any recognition the father sees fit to bestow.

It is more pleasing than the loud recognition conferred on tis by the unremitting malevolence of our opponents.

At the same time, your letter has got me on tenterhooks because, for all my "shrewdness," I can't quite make out what is going on so enigmatically behind the scenes.

Together with my wife I have tried to unriddle your words, and we have reached surmises which, for the time being at any rate, I would rather keep to myself.

I can only hope that your embargo on discussion will be lifted during your stay here.

I, too, have the feeling that this is a time full of marvels, and, if the 'auguries do not deceive us, it may very well be that, thanks to your discoveries, we are on the threshold of something really sensational, which I scarcely know how to describe except with the Gnostic 'concept of (Sophia) an Alexandrian term particularly suited to the reincarnation of ancient wisdom in the shape of psychoanalysis.

I daren't say too much, but would only counsel you (very immodestly) to let my "Transf. and Symb. of the Lib." unleash your associations and/or fantasies: I am sure you 'will hit upon strange things if you do.

(Provided, of course, that the mysterious hint in your letter has not already done so in anagrammatic form. With that letter anything 'seems possible.)

Well then-I was in Brussels from 11-16 August.

The Congress and its proceedings were so idiotic that I played truant most of the time.

I was present, so to speak, only at my own lecture."

It was a colossal piece of cheek.

I knew that after all those longueurs the public 'would fall like rabbits.

The speaking time was limited to 20 minutes.

I took almost an hour, one. can't do a decent report on Psychology in 20 minutes.

I felt sure the chairman (van Schuyten," who has his knife into psychoanalysis anyway) was going to cut me short.

And he did.

I told him I would willingly stop at once but would like to leave the decision to the Congress (ca. 200 people).

The Congress granted me further time by acclamation.

The same thing happened a second time.

The chairman was hopping mad but had to swallow his rage.

My lecture had the effect of a bombshell.

Afterwards one heard mutterings like "Vous avez dechaine un orage," "oh, c'est un homme odieux," etc.

A few people left the hall in mute protest.

One Danish doctor flew into a rage with me; I didn't deign to answer him and that made him more furious than ever, for the rabble likes to be answered in kind.

But a few of the brighter heads and a few good ones had noticed something and from now on can be counted among our silent collaborators.

After Belgium I went on a mountain tour in the Bernese Oberland with my wife.

I have been back in Zurich since yesterday.

Now comes a protest at your not wishing to leave until the 15th when you should already be here on the 15th.

Can it be done?

So far I have only four announcements of lectures for Weimar' (Sadger, Abraham, Korber," Jung). I have asked Bleuler, Sachs, and Rank, and will also try Pfister.

I am counting on you absolutely; would you please let me know the title of your lecture as soon as possible.

Abraham wrote me that applicants are dragging their heels (at least in Zurich).

These are only symptoms of laziness, of course; people will come all right.

This time the feminine element will have conspicuous representatives from Zurich: Sister Meltzer," or Hinkle Eastwick (an American charmer), Frl. Dr. Spielrein (!), then a new discovery of mine, Frl. Antonia Wolff," a remarkable intellect with an excellent feeling for religion and philosophy, and last but not least" my wife.

I am told that a Dr. van Renterghem of Amsterdam wants to come.

In Munich we have won over a privatdocent of psychoanalysis, Dr. Fischer!' (former pupil of Lipps and Wundt).

Perhaps you 'can round up a few decent lecturers in Vienna; in any case do please get Ferenczi to present something.

I look forward very much to seeing you here again in the near future. I'm expecting Putnam next week.

Many kind regards,

Most sincerely yours,

JUNG ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 438-441

No comments:

Post a Comment