Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Carl Jung: "Freud/Jung Letters" - Quotations




Bleuler would rather fall out with us than with those pipsqueaks. Shame on him! ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters. Vol 1, Pages 465

It seemed to me that my spookerys struck you as altogether too stupid and perhaps unpleasant because of the Fliess analogy. (Insanity!) ~Carl Jung to Freud, Letters Vol. 1, Page 9.

If there is a "psych-analysis" there must also be a "psychosynthesis" which creates future events according to the same laws. ~Carl Jung to Freud, Letters Vol. 1, Page 10.

That last evening with you has, most happily, freed me inwardly from the oppressive sense of your paternal authority. ~Carl Jung to Freud, Letters Vol. 1, Page 10.

Because of our shortsightedness we fail to recognize the biological services rendered by homosexual seducers. Actually they should be credited with something of the sanctity of monks. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung letters Vol. 1, Page 298

It's a crying shame that already with Herodotus prudery puts forth its quaint blossoms; on his own admission he covers up a lot of things "for reasons of decency." Where did the Greeks learn that from so early? ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 265-268

American culture really is a bottomless abyss; the men have become a flock of sheep and the women play the ravening wolves-within the family circle, of course. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 265-268

I have to fight like mad with my students until I have dinned it into them that psychoanalysis is a scientific method and not just guesswork. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 265-268

Psychoanalysis is in essence a cure through love. ~Sigmund Freud - letter to Carl Jung (1906)

One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful. ~Sigmund Freud Letter to Carl Jung, September 19, 1907.

Then I am plagued by all those poor devils who have "pissed out" excruciating dissertations on me (to speak in the basic language"). ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Pages 424-425

Occultism is another field we shall have to conquer' with the aid of the libido theory, it seems to me. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Pages 424-425

For a while longer I must intoxicate myself on magic perfumes in order to fathom the secrets that lie hidden in the abysses of the unconscious. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Pages 424-425

Finally and in confidence: Pfister is now in analysis with Riklin. He has obviously had enough of being roasted over a slow fire by his complexes. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Pages 424-425

Your last letter upset me. I have read a lot between the lines. I don't doubt that if only I could talk with you we could come to a basic understanding. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 138-139

I think very many cases of Dementia praecox are due exclusively to purely psychological conflicts. But besides these there are undoubtedly not a few cases where a physical weakness of some kind precipitates the psychosis. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 138-139

Everywhere we are haunted by psyche = substantia, playing on the brain ala piano. The monistic standpoint-psyche = inwardly perceived function-might help to slay this ghost. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 138-139

You are quite right: on the whole I was unfair to Stekel's book. But only to you. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 169-170

Heartiest thanks for your two excellent articles. “The Dynamics of Transference" is of extraordinary value for the analyst. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Page 486

I should like to spend the miserably short holiday I have in lazy solitude; God knows I need it. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 163-164

Together with my wife I have tried to unriddle your words, and we have reached surmises which, for the time being at any rate, I would rather keep to myself. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 438-441

I can only hope that your embargo on discussion will be lifted during your stay here. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 438-441

One Danish doctor flew into a rage with me; I didn't deign to answer him and that made him more furious than ever, for the rabble likes to be answered in kind. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 438-441

I, too, have the feeling that this is a time full of marvels, and, if the 'auguries do not deceive us, it may very well be that, thanks to your discoveries, we are on the threshold of something really sensational, which I scarcely know how to describe except with the Gnostic 'concept of (Sophia) an Alexandrian term particularly suited to the reincarnation of ancient wisdom in the shape of psychoanalysis. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 438-441

The adventure with "Schottlander" is marvellous; of course the slimy bastard was lying. I hope you roasted, flayed, and impaled the fellow with such genial ferocity that he got a lasting taste for once of the effectiveness of psychoanalysis. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 325-326

My mythology swirls about inside me, and now and then various significant bits and pieces are thrown up. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 325-326

That it is not of great therapeutic importance to get patients to produce their latent fantasies seems to me a very dubious proposition. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 430-431

We have been the victims of "blackmail"! by the newspapers and were publicly reviled although no names were named. I have even consulted a good lawyer with a possible view to bringing a libel action. ." ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 482-483

This letter is quite vacuous. At the moment I am not giving out any libido, it's all going into my work. " ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 482-483

The time is most inopportune, as I am overwhelmed with work and grappling with the endless proliferation of mythological fantasies. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 482-483

Please forgive me for the delay in answering. The break with Bleuler has not left me unscathed. Once again I underestimated my father complex. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 328-331

I am working like a horse and am at present immersed in Iranian archaeology. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol., Pages 355- 356

I think my conjecture that the Miller fantasies" really add up to a redemption mystery can be proved to the hilt. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol., Pages 355- 356

Only the other day a so-called Dem. praec. patient, whom I have almost set on her" feet again, came out with a really grand, hitherto anxiously guarded, moon-fantasy which is a redemption mystery composed entirely of liturgical imagery. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol., Pages 355- 356

I myself am out of the running, for I have no intention of giving up my scientific work for the sake of a professorship. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 501-502

Professorships here mean the end of one scientific development. You cannot be an official in a madhouse and a scientist at the same time. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 501-502

Nothing can be done directly, since one cannot start a fight with American newspapers. All they are interested in is sensationalism, bribery, and corruption. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 501-502

Our ultimate opponents will be the ones who commit the vilest atrocities with Psychoanalysis, as they are even now doing with all the means at their disposal. It's a poor lookout for Psychoanalysis in the hands of these crooks and fools! ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 501-502

When everything goes smoothly, petrifaction sets in. "I seek salvation not in rigid forms."! ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 539-540

So if I offer you the unvarnished truth it is meant for your good, even though it may hurt. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 539-540

Although you have evidently taken my first secret letter very much to heart or very much amiss, I cannot refrain, while avoiding that topic, from offering you my friendly wishes for the New Year. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1, Pages 539-540

If there is a "psychanalysis" there must also be a "psychosynthesis" which creates future events according to the same laws. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. 1., Pages 215-217

Bleuler would rather fall out with us than with those pipsqueaks. Shame on him! ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters. Vol 1, Pages 465






The homosexual resistances in men are simply astounding and open up mind-boggling possibilities. Removal of the moral stigma from homosexuality as a method of contraception is a cause to be
promoted with the utmost energy. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Vol. I, Page 298.

I . . . have the feeling that this is a time full of marvels, and, if the auguries do not deceive us, it may very well be that . . . we are on the threshold of something really sensational, which I scarcely know how to describe except with the Gnostic concept of [Sophia], an Alexandrian term particularly suited to the reincarnation of ancient wisdom in the shape of ΨA. ~Carl Jung, The Freud/Jung Letters, Page 439

Since your visit I have been tormented by the idea that your relation with my husband is not altogether as it should be, and since it definitely ought not to be like this I want to try to do whatever is in my power. ~Emma Jung to S. Freud, Freud/Jung Letters Pages 452-3.

You were really annoyed by my letter, weren't you? I was too, and now I am cured of my megalomania and am wondering why the devil the unconscious had to make you, of all people, the victim of this madness. ~Emma Jung to S. Freud, Freud/Jung Letters Pages 455-7.

Incidentally, America no longer has the same attraction for him [Carl] as before, and this has taken a stone from my heart. ~Emma Jung to S. Freud, Freud/Jung Letters, Page 303.

“No one provokes me with impunity." The ancients knew how inexorable a god Eros is. ~Cited by Carl Jung in Freud/Jung Letters, Page 19.

Gross and Spielrein are bitter experiences. To none of my patients have I extended so much friendship and from none have I reaped so much sorrow. ~Jung to Freud, Freud/Jung Letters pp. 228-229.

The reason for evil in the world is that people are not able to tell their stories. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters Vol. II, Page [needed]

You will be accused of mysticism, but the reputation you won with the Dementia will hold up for quite some time against that. ~Sigmund Freud to Carl Jung Letter May 1911.

Adler's letter is stupid chatter and can safely be ignored. We aren't children here. If Adler ever says anything sensible or worth listening to I shall take note of it, even though I don't think much of him as a person. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Page 532.

This time the feminine element will have conspicuous representatives from Zurich: Sister Meltzer, Hinkle Eastwick (an American charmer), Frl. Dr. Spielrein (!), then a new discovery of mine, Frl. Antonia Wolff, a remarkable intellect with an excellent feeling for religion and philosophy, and last but not least my wife. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, pp. 438-41.

I should never have joined you in the first place had not heresy run in my blood. ~Carl Jung Letter to Sigmund Freud (March 1912)

It is a risky business for an egg to be cleverer than the hen. Still, what is in the egg must find the courage to creep out. ~Carl Jung, Letter to Sigmund Freud (1911)

One repays a teacher badly if one remains only a pupil. ~Carl Jung, Letter to Sigmund Freud (quoting Zarathustra) (1912)

An ethical fraternity, with its mythical Nothing, not infused by any archaic-infantile driving force, is a pure vacuum and can never evoke in man the slightest trace of that age-old animal power which drives the migrating bird across the sea. . . .~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Page 294.

In my case Pilgrim's Progress consisted in my having to climb down a thousand ladders until I could reach out my hand to the little clod of earth that I am. ~Carl Jung, Freud/Jung Letters, Volume 1, Page xix.

Freud is essentially concretistic, like Newton, and I'm chiefly impressed by the relativity of psychological phenomena. ~Carl Jung, Letters Vol. I, Pages 301-302

No comments:

Post a Comment